School Games Gold Mark
We are delighted to announce that Conyers School has achieved the School Games Gold Mark Award for the 2021/22 academic year.
The School Games Mark is a Government-led award scheme launched in 2012, facilitated by the Youth Sport Trust to reward and recognise school’s engagement (provision and uptake) in the School Games against a national benchmark and to celebrate keeping young people active, and we are delighted to have been recognised for our success.
Our physical activity and school sport achievements this year include:
- Early morning, lunchtime and after school extracurricular clubs in athletics, badminton, basketball, cricket, dodgeball, football, netball, rugby, and tennis.
- KS3 success at the Stockton Sports Hall Athletics.
- In Athletics the Year 7 Girls came 1st, the Year 7 Boys came 2nd and the Year 8/9 Girls came 3rd at the event held at Middlesbrough Sports Village on 26 May 2022.
- Six Conyers students qualified to represent Stockton at the Stockton Schools Cross Country Championships at Preston Park, with a number going on to represent Cleveland County and then running at the English Schools Cross Country championships in Kent.
It has been a highly successful football season for all year groups.
- The U15 girls football team finished the season unbeaten and won the league.
- The U13 girls football team played all their fixtures and it was great to see new faces making their debut for Conyers as the season went along. They won the league.
- The U14 and U16 girls football teams reached the County Cup finals as well.
- The U12 boys football team have also had a great season, winning the league and qualifying for the Cleveland County Cup final vs Lawrence Jackson
- In the 2021-22 Stockton District Schools FA League Conyers achieved exceptional success;
- U12 (Year 7) Winners – Conyers
- U13 (Year 8) Winners – Conyers
- U15 (Year 10) Runners up – Conyers
- U16 (Year 11) Winners – Conyers
- U13 Girls Winners – Conyers
- U15 Girls Winners – Conyers
- 5-a-side Winners Year 8 Girls – Conyers
- The U16 Netball team won the Stockton Finals whilst the U12 Girls Netball team made it to the U13 Stockton Schools Premiership Final.
- The U15 rugby team finished as runners-up at the Durham County RFU 7’s and then went on to win the Cleveland 7’s in the same week.
- Our U13 Girls rugby team took part in their first Stockton Schools competition ever!
- The U12 boys rugby team has also been outstanding, progressing to the final of the County Cup.
- Female and male students from the school are involved in high-performance rugby pathways with the Newcastle Falcons Academy programme and Durham County RFU.
Out of School
- Students from Conyers have taken part and achieved great success in a wide and diverse range of sports and events outside of school.
- These include International Motorsport; National Acrobatics, Tumbling and Gymnastics; National Swimming Championships; Intermediate North East Regional Schools Trampoline competition; North East Counties Indoor Athletics Championships; North Counties Squash Championships; World Youth Kettlebell Championships; Equestrian and Show Jumping at Hickstead; and the North East Open Ice Skating championships.
- Eight Year 9 students took part in the two Stockton SSP Leadership Academy days aiming to be part of the Commonwealth Games Day in July.
- The Football leaders have been running the Levendale Primary “Girls Can Play” day as part of National Girls Football Day with every single girl in Levendale taking part.
- The Conyers Sports Leaders also ran the SSP girls football finals and skills day and the SSP cluster Netball ‘Stingers’ event.
- Watching the England Netball Roses in the Quad Series, the Newcastle Eagles Basketball team, the England Lionesses and seeing our own Miss Holmes play for Durham Women FC against Manchester United.
- We ran an amazing Focus Day that included the Sport Relief Mile for over 1000 Conyers students and then a wide variety of sports including UV Dodgeball, Football, Just Dance, Kinball and Archery.
Go Sport and Community Projects
- Go Sport received the SME Northern Enterprise Award for the Best Community Sports & Fitness Project – Yorkshire for the second year running.
We are extremely proud of our pupils for their dedication to all aspects of physical activity and school sport, including those young volunteers, leaders and officials who made our events possible. We are committed to using the School Games to try and engage those young people who haven’t previously been active or represented our school and to try and ensure that all our students have a positive experience and want to try out new activities beyond school too in our community. We believe in the power of physical activity and school sports as a school and give opportunities to those young people that need it most either as a participant, leader, official or volunteer.
As part of our application, we were asked to fulfill criteria in the areas linked to the five School Games outcomes and we are pleased that the hard work of everyone at our school has been rewarded this year.
A special thanks to:
Hutchinson & Hobbs, DF Coaching and Stockton RFC who have all supported Sport and PE at Conyers by providing playing kits for all age groups in football and rugby this year.